This group is specifically designed to address the needs of patients who have a neurological life-limiting illness, or whose presentation has many neurological elements.
Expert support for anyone living with a neurological disease
What we do:
The free-to-attend Neurological Support Group strives to promote well-being and improve the quality of life for individuals facing advanced, progressive neurological conditions like Parkinson’s or motor neurone disease. Patient’s can be referred by a GP, Consultant or healthcare provider.
At the program’s outset, each patient and their caregiver will undergo an assessment to identify their specific needs. As the sessions progress, you’ll be able to engage with therapists, our Supportive Care Team, or doctors.
Active participation within your comfort zone is encouraged. Every session incorporates either relaxation or exercise, providing an opportunity to interact with different professionals on the team. While it’s understood that some sessions may be challenging to attend, we strongly recommend attending each session to fully benefit from the comprehensive support and information this course offers.
The group aims to:
- To offer support to people in similar situations
- To offer a safe environment to share problems
- To alleviate isolation felt by patients and carers
- To provide advice and up-to-date information
The sessions encompass:
- Connecting with others on a similar journey for social support.
- Customised active exercises for specific needs.
- Relaxation techniques.
- Practical assistance.
- Complementary therapy.
- Management of pain and symptoms.
- Emotional support for both patients and their families.
- Opportunities for Advance Care Planning.
- Access to specialised palliative care.