A family has spoken movingly about the care it received from St Michael’s Hospice on two occasions more than 30 years apart.

Wallace Preece died at St Michael’s in April 1986 aged 67 following a short stay in the Hospice’s original Inpatient building, now home to Day Services.

This summer, Wallace’s son-in-law, Chris Morgan, passed away at home, also aged 67, having received care from the Hospice at Home team and on the Inpatient Ward.

Such was the family’s dedication to St Michael’s that Chris’s daughter, Jemma Kuegler, decided to raise funds for her hospice by taking part in one of St Michael’s biggest annual fundraisers – The Paint Runner on Hereford’s Bishop’s Meadow.

‘There was a group of eight of us, including my daughter, eight-year-old Izzy,’ said Jemma.

‘We had a really great time and were so glad we took part.’

Jemma’s friends and family all donated, helping her raise at least £1,150 through JustGiving.

‘The Hospice was caring for dad at the time of The Paint Runner in June and we wanted to do something to raise money,’ she said.

‘Dad’s mentality was to fight.

‘He was meant to be at St Michael’s for two weeks but was determined to return home, which he did. He died on 5th August. He was a truly amazing man.’

Just over 30 years earlier, Jemma’s grandfather, Wallace Preece, was also cared for by the Hospice.

His daughter, Jemma’s mum Marilyn Morgan, said there was a clear continuity of care given to Wallace and her husband, Chris.

‘The care they both received couldn’t be faulted,’ said Marilyn.

‘During Chris’s final two nights we had a nurse come in and stop with us. She was so lovely, as everyone had been.

‘It just felt like one big family.’

Pictured above: 

1) Marilyn Morgan (left), her daughter Jemma Kuegler and Connie Smith from St Michael’s

2) Chris Morgan on holiday in Ibiza last September

3) Wallace Preece, who died in 1986

4) A family photo taken in Wales – Chris’s final holiday

5) Jemma and her daughter Izzy during The Paint Runner in June

6) Jemma’s group of eight before they were splattered with paint at The Paint Runner